Kandinsky is the father and greatest interpreter and theorist of Abstract art of the early XX century. Arriving in Munich from Moscow in his thirties, he came into contact with the French and Berlin avant-gardes. He founded, between 1909 and 1913, first the Neue Künstlervereinung München (New Association of Munich Artists), then the artistic movement Die Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider) whose exhibitions include, among the participants, Picasso, Klee, Arp, Derain and Nolde and are an opportunity to compare new artistic trends. The artist progressively frees his painting from any reference to material reality, giving life to a lyrical abstraction based on solid philosophical foundations and on deep affinities with the language of music. His reflection on form, color and space evolved towards greater geometric rigor after joining in 1922 the teaching staff of the Bauhaus, the extraordinary school of architecture, art and design active in Weimar, then in Dessau and Berlin, between the 1919 and 1933. White Zig Zags documents the passage towards this geometric phase. Remained in the artist's collection until his death, the painting was purchased by the Municipality of Venice on the occasion of the 1950 Venice Biennale directly from his wife Nina Kandinsky.