Self-taught artist, in the early 1900s he went to Paris and Brittany. In 1905 he was granted a studio on the third floor of the Ca' Pesaro Museum. Central figure of the artistic group that was raising in those years, the so called "rebels of Ca Pesaro" according to the definition of the critic Cesare Brandi, Rossi is the protagonist of the "Bevilacqua" exhibitions, organized since 1908 by the first Director of the Museum, Nino Barbantini , who was also responsible for the gift of the Douarnenez painting to Ca' Pesaro's collections.
Exhibited in Ca' Pesaro in 1919, when activities resumed after the war, the painting testifies to Rossi's great love for French painting and Brittany. He had stayed there for a long time, between 1909 and 1912, frequenting both the villages of Douarnenez and Guilvinec, and had been closely acquainted with the art of the Pont-Aven group, a place made famous by Paul Gauguin and his friends.
The painting is played on a few and intense blue-green colors, the shapes of the Breton houses and boats are simplified and closed by a thick and dark outline, the atmosphere is suspended, as Barbantini wrote: "The sweet poetry of this concentrated view of Douarnenez where the light of the invisible moon on the village, on the boats, on the sleeping waters, is like a dream light and softens the heart ».